The Jasper County School District is working diligently to provide exceptional educational and transportation services for their students. The district is proposing Staggered Bell Schedules for all schools within the district.
Proposed Staggered Bell Schedules are as listed:
- Hardeeville-Ridgeland Middle School & Ridgeland-Hardeeville High School
- start time: 7:30 a.m. dismissal time: 2:45 p.m.
- Ridgeland Elementary School and Hardeeville Elementary School
- start time 8:45 a.m. dismissal time 3:45 p.m.
Upcoming Town Hall Meeting dates, to share staggered bell schedule information with the community, will be posted shortly. During recent meetings, the district spoke about potential pros and cons of staggered bell schedules.
The pros for staggered bell schedule includes:
* Reduction of the number of school buses and bus drivers needed.
* Reduction of late buses and double runs allows teachers extra planning/preparation time.
* Shorter school bus runs or less time spent on the school bus.
* Possible elimination of double or second school bus runs.
The district is also aware of potential cons; some commonly discussed cons included:
* Determining who goes to school first (older or younger students)
* Who will supervise the younger siblings if parents are at work?
* Will early care of aftercare be provided, if so will there be a cost or limited in the number of students?
* If elementary is released first during the afternoon, who will receive them at home?
*** There may be many other pros and cons, but these are only a few frequently mentioned.
Parents are encouraged to vote for or against the new bell schedule. Online surveys are available on the district site www.jcsd.net.
If agreed upon this schedule will be enforced for the upcoming 2017-2018 school term.